Monday, June 18, 2012

(Starting to Look Like a) Leather Jacket: Zip it!

Look at my jacket! It's actually starting to look like a jacket.





Or at least several large pieces of jacket...
 
Front

Back

 And unlike the muslin, this time I put the zipper in correctly on the first attempt. (Phew.)


I bought this zipper at Botani Buttons, which has recently expanded their store significantly.  They now have a whole room full of zippers that they will trim to a custom length for you while you wait. I was happy to take advantage of this service since I needed a non-standard length separating zipper and potentially could have run into disaster if I tried to do it myself (read: ineptitude with pliers). I was told that the Lampo zipper that I bought is what the house of Chanel uses. So, I'm now thinking of this jacket as the closest I will ever get to owning a Chanel jacket. LOL. Anyway, those of you in the NY area should check out this new section the next time you are looking for a zipper for a special garment (read: not cheap). But look how lovely.

Also, check out the peplum:


Seriously, there is something to be said for ironing leather. How else would I get the great pleats?

Pleated peplum with topstitching = awesomesauce
 Next, I have to make a pattern for the back stay. That's the only reason that I didn't get to sewing the front and back together.  Stay tuned.

19 comments:

Mar-Mar said...

Clio, it is coming along so well!!!  While I have been silent, I have been keeping up with your progress all along.  Miss you!!!

Mar-Mar

T. Sedai said...

Looks amazing!  Loving the peplum.  Can't wait to see it progress.

Clio said...

 Aw Mar, I miss you too!

puu said...

i am so glad you kept the peplum.  look at that detail!  aweseomesauce indeed.

Kristinm100 said...

I'm blown away by how gorgeous this is looking.

Sheila said...

I am loving your chanelzip jacket and ironing leather is any awesome thing.

poppykettle said...

Looking amazing! :)

ReadyThreadSew said...

I love the peplum. That leather just looks soooo soft.  I think I'm going to be very envious of you for owning such a gorgeous jacket.  

Linda Lewis said...

Wonderful!  I know you are in the advanced category now!

Meg at Mood said...

It's looking so fantastic!

Allison Churchman said...

Oh my gosh this is going to be so awesome!

Clio said...

 LOL - Honestly, it is so buttery soft I know I'm going to love wearing it!

Clio said...

Ha!  Have you forgotten that I'm practically allergic to making button holes?!??! I don't think I could respectably call myself advanced until I master a few more of the basics that I tend to avoid.

Clio said...

Thanks, everyone!  Is it wrong that summer starts this week but I'm fantasizing about Autumn?

Mikhaela Reid said...

Wow, you are ROCKING this jacket--I can't wait to see it on you!

Clio said...

 Thanks! Gah - I feel like I'll never be finished! LOL

oonaballoona said...

EEEEEP. i adore the whole thing but that front & zip!  EEP!

Karin said...

Oooooooh!  It looks great already.  You are going to feel fantastic this Autumn sporting around in this!

Catherine Daze said...

It's looking good! I'd have been terrified of topstitching on leather.