Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Increasingly Off-Season Creations

As if it isn't enough that I'm sewing a jacket, now I'm knitting a sweater, too. Sheesh.

The minute I said I needed a summertime substitute hobby for knitting - who wants to deal with all that wool in the heat? - I suddenly realized that I desperately wanted to be knitting something. I'm heading to London for work and my colleague who knits invited me to their lunchtime knitting circle. So, I want to be knitting something fun, and I need a little break from socks; those purple ones took a lot out of me. 




So, I'm knitting a sweater. In my defense, I picked gorgeous mercerized cotton for it and the pattern is for a sleeveless, halter-like top. Very summery, if you can call a sweater summery. Here's the start of it.




After working on very small needles for my socks, I can't help but feel like this sweater is coming along pretty quickly, even though I had a few bumps at the beginning that had me doing almost as much un-knitting as knitting (tink tink tink). But now it's coming along nicely.

Also, in a merging of hobbies, I've started practicing my jewelry techniques by making stitch markers for my knitting. While buying needles for this sweater project, I noticed an expensive display of  cute bead stitch markers sitting on the yarn store counter. And, as I was walking back to my office, an unstoppable magnetic force pulled me off the street and into the clutches of a few of the bead shops on 6th Avenue. A few inexpensive bags and strands of beads and some jump rings later, and I've got stitch markers. Hooray.


And I've got the materials to make a whole bunch more.

11 comments:

Kimbersew said...

Pretty!  still not enough to make me take up knitting, but pretty!  Give me the fabric already made, and I can do things with it- but if I have to make the fabric too-  sheesh!  More power to those who have the patience! I would take a stitch marker to personalize my wine glass though...  Have a good trip!

Sheila said...

I second that... pretty.  I love the color and the stitch markers are so utilitarian cute.

T. Sedai said...

Love that color!  It is funny, but I (supposedly) live in the land of perpetual summer and despite that it was still cold enough to require a jacket this morning.  So your making of jackets and knitting of sweaters seems totally logical to me.  Even though, in my head, I know I am going to be facing temps in the 100s next week (I am also going on a trip - but no where so fabulous as London!), I am still thinking about making cool weather items.  Not that I have the time to make much of anything at the moment.  But, you know, in theory.  Also - your stitch markers are cute!  Can't say I need any of my own, but I do like yours.

Anyway, have a fun trip!  Can't wait to see your finished knitting!

poppykettle said...

That knitting looks GORGEOUS. Love the pattern and the colour. I keep saying I really need to learn how to knit... but I just can't get started even after seeing inspiration like this! Ugh.

Kristinm100 said...

You know how I go all knitting-crazy in the summer! This looks great. I'm just blocking (aka machine drying my washable wool yarn) my latest sweater. Next up, I've got to figure out how to make the buttonholes by machine (using ribbon on the button band.)

Lisette said...

Of course you can knit in the summer! I'm also starting a cardigan in a beautiful mercerized cotton. BTW which pattern are you using?

Clio said...

 I'm sure wine glass tags are in my future!

Clio said...

It took getting a groupon for a knitting class that was walking distance from my office to get me started! So, I understand!

Clio said...

 I'm sure wine glass tags are in my future!

Clio said...

It took getting a groupon for a knitting class that was walking distance from my office to get me started! So, I understand!

Clio said...

It is the Leaf-Paneled Sweater from Runway Knits by Berta Karapetyan.  Berta actually happens to be my knitting teacher - so good that I can drop in when I get stuck.

http://www.amazon.com/Runway-Knits-30-Fashion-Forward-Designs/dp/0307339688