Monday, March 15, 2010

Beware the Ides...

After taking the end of last week off, I'm having a hard time pulling myself together this Monday. It doesn't help that it we sprang ahead an hour for daylight savings and it is absolutely dreary out.

Et tu, Shoe-te!

On Thursday night I went through my shoes and bags. All of these are either dated, worn out, have been replaced by something better, or are just not comfy. I'm a bit conflicted about the red pointy ones. They are comfy and not too heavily worn. I just feel like they are a bit dated at this point.

However, this wraps up my wardrobe purge and I am now on to the sewing/buying phase of the project. The trouble is, I spent a whole day shopping on Friday, with only one top and a scratch on the neck from a zipper detail to show for my efforts! I just can't seem to find anything to buy that is nice and feels good. The fabrics are so very cheap right now. (Seriously, I tried on one top that was so flimsy, that I am sure it would have blown apart if I sneezed too hard. And allergy season is on the way.) So, I have a lot of work to do.

I have more show and tell planned for this week. Aside from my ill-fated shopping trip, I was busy sewing over the weekend, but just couldn't pull myself together to photograph things. However, I do have updates for you on my pants muslin, a hobo bag I am working on and a possible project for my newest nephew, Little C. So stay tuned.

5 comments:

Mar-Mar said...

I'd keep the red shoes. I don't think they are that dated...mmm...but I am a keeper and it's hard for me to part with shoes(but, I have done it before!).

If you were wondering what the old sewing machine looked like here is the link I had promised -

http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_&_gibbs_dates_serial_numbers.htm

It is the one that says the very rare Wilcox & Gibbs.

It is on a very fancy table. There is a pic of a Victorian Lady sitting down with her sewing machine about 3/4 way down the page. That is what it looks like.

http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm

I had finally threaded the needle but I couldn't figure how to get it to work. Plus, there was left over sperm whale oil on the needle which got on my fabric(just my trial run on old bed sheets, but still!)

I bought the Janome Sewist 500 last night. I am reading the instructions and hopefully can sew something together today!!(Jay is not home till 9pm, so there is a good chance of me not getting to play with my toy!).

I'll keep you updated!

xoxo
Mar-Mar

MS said...

I would keep the red ones too. Not that you asked.

Clio said...

Ok, then I will keep the red shoes. (That is kind of what I was hoping you would say.)

Mar-Mar said...

Clio,
Just to let you know, I like the black and white shoes too(next to the red ones). They look like spring-summer essentials. I don't know what the heel looks like or if they are comfy, but I'd keep those too.
xoxo
Mar-Mar

PS. I am sorry that the pattern for the hobo didn't work. I was too busy sharing my sewing soul with you to mention it on the new blog.

Clio said...

See, the black and white shoes tugged at me too. I bought them on my very first trip to Rome. I wore bigger heels then and the shoes aren't very comfy and haven't been worn in 5+ years. was also feeling like the shape of the heel is a bit dated. Hmmm, I'll have to think on them.