Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Finished! A Beautiful Bag

What else can I say about Butterick B5005, which is sadly OOP?  I've sewn it 5 times now, including for myself.


Diaper Bag and Changing pad

This version is for my sister, Terpischore, and my new nephew!!!

My very first version of this bag was for Poly, one of my other sisters (I have 4 of 'em). So, I called her to see how well her bag had held up. I was considering using Amy Bulter fabric, like I did for her's back in 2009 and wanted to make sure it would be durable. She reported that after using it daily until she no longer needed a diaper bag for her first child, she retired it to "beach bag" and was still using it. Even better, she reported that it machine washed beautifully and - six years on - the only real visible wear and tear was on the straps. That was all I needed to hear and I'm hoping that this bag holds up equally well for Terp.    




I wrote about the hardware that I've used for bag sewing when I made another version for a dear friend. The only elements that I've added since then are the zip welt pocket, which I first did for my own diaper bag (here). And now this fun "Handmade" plate from Emmaline Bags.


Zipper double welt pocket 

I never can get good pictures of the insides of the bags so I took the above and below inside photos before final assembly. They're a bit dark since I took them inside. But you get the idea.

 

On my bag, I use these nice sized pockets for diapers and wipes. 


The only other detail is that I made a matching changing pad.





Isn't the changing pad pretty with it's hot pink bias edging? As always, I used iron on vinyl.




 Here's a few detail shots...


Metal zipper



Outside pocket with a magnetic snap closure; webbing straps


I really think this may be my best looking bag yet. I'm just wild about the color combination and prints; they really pop!  And on that note I have to confess that I hope it's my last bag, at least for a while. When you do a bag right and add so many little details it becomes a big project. And frankly, I'm feeling very eager to get back to some non-baby-oriented sewing.




Anyway, I can't wait to meet my nephew and drop off this diaper bag in the next few days. I hope it serves my sister well! 

No comments: