Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fabric Find: Modal

While others are making resolutions to buy less fabric, it always seems like January is my month for stash building.
Did anyone else see that FabricMart now has modal knit? This is hands-down my favorite fabric for loungewear. Here's how herroom.com defines it in their very handy fabric glossary: 
Modal
Modal is made with cellulose from beech trees and is essentially a variety of rayon. It is about 50% more water-absorbent than cotton. Modal fabric has softness, good drape and is said to breath even better than cotton. Garments made in modal have anti-crease properties and are relatively easy care. 
My favorite DKNY modal pj's
I started wearing DKNY's Seven Easy Pieces modal pj bottoms a few years ago, and now they are the only pajamas that will do. I wore my original ones into holes. Modal is wonderfully soft, incredibly drapey and stretchy, outstandingly colorfast and doesn't seem to shrink. 
Before now, I've never actually seen modal sold in anything other than RTW. Trust me, I've looked for it. I've never seen it in the Garment District or online. So, naturally, I had to snatch up 5 yards for my stash.     
It's actually black. I had to lighten the photo so it could be visible.
 
 
Have you ever worked with modal? Or have you worn it? I have no immediate plans for this fabric, but I think it will become a variety of comfy lounge pants, pj's and some tee shirts over time. The kinds of patterns that come to mind are Simplicity 2603:
 
 
 
 
And BurdaStyle (then BWOF) 7-2009-127: 
 
 
 
I also grabbed 2 yards of this very cool double knit. I have no immediate plans for it, but I think it would make a great dress or skirt. 
 
Animal print double knit in black and tan.
 
And I've been stocking up on all kinds of basic supplies: bemberg lining, tracing paper, interfacings, etc. I guess it just feels like it is the right time of year to get myself set for all my sewing projects.
 
Speaking of which, the diaper bag is nearly done. I hope to finish it tonight. I'm eager to start work on my color block dress and a bit tired of making so many pockets on this bag. That said, it's been a nice break from fitting.

11 comments:

K.Line said...

I freakin love modal. If only I could order from FabricMart without the shipping costing a mortgage payment, I'd be all over purchasing some. In addition to everything you've said, I find it lasts very well. And I go through lounge wear in 5 minutes due to wear and tear.

Clio said...

Oh no! That stinks. Yeah, for such a soft drapey fabric, I'm shocked at how well it holds up too!

K.Line said...

OK, I'm half inclined to buy 2.5 yards of the navy and 2 yards of this: https://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/CDA774-Sweater-knit-large-ribbed-light-aubergine-57-Wide.html for that magic blouse I blogged about today.

I've only bought fabric online once and it was expensive and I didn't like the fabric that arrived.

Do you think this stuff will seem cheap (specifically the sweater knit which is, after all, poly)?

And, the shipping will likely be 25 bucks. Do you think that's insane? Takes the cost of 4.5 yards of fabric to about 15 bucks a yard.

Faye Lewis said...

I've never worked with it as far as I know, but you've really got me interested. Besides I need some classy pj's to replace my "I can wear these cause no one else sees them" ones.

Anonymous said...

OOOoo modal sounds wonderful! I'm not a huge knit person so I've never sewn with it, but it sounds lovely...

Clio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clio said...

@ Faye and A Sewn - To me it's like the softest comfiest jersey around. It was only when I bought other pj's and they weren't as soft that I looked at the label.

@ K-Line - Hmmm. Tough call. What I will say is that I haven't ever been dissatisfied with anything that I've ordered from FabricMart It's all been good quality, even when an item was a little different than I expected. (I'm particularly happy with the double knit, which was an impulse buy.) That said, I'm a bit of a natural fiber snob (there's not a whole lot of poly in my stash or wardrobe), so I definitely haven't ordered anything like that sweater knit from them and don't know how the quality might be. As for whether $15 a yard, well, I've definitely paid that much and more on occasion. But it always does miff me when so much goes to shipping. Hmmm, this was a bit of a non-answer, huh? I hope it helps at least a bit.

K.Line said...

I did it. I remembered Carolyn (Sewing Addict) bought the lavender knit and she recommended it. And I got the modal. Cuz who can resist modal. Your a questionable influence!

Clio said...

Awesome! I aim to enable!

Towanda said...

I love modal knit. I am working with some black modal that I bought from FM recently. It is great to work with, so soft and sews up so easy. I made a twin set from it last year and it looks brand new. I might have to go and buy some more modal from FM.

T. Sedai said...

I was looking at some of my favorite online fabric sources and I noticed modal here:

http://www.lowpricefabric.com/c-474-modal-knits.aspx

More expensive than Fabric Mart, but they have a lot of color choices...

BTW, I have ordered from this website before (Michael Levine's in LA). Very fast service. Of course, I live closer to them than other places, so shipping was much quicker, but when I ordered from them before I had my fabric within 3 days, so they are a pretty good online service.