While others are making resolutions to buy less fabric, it always seems like January is my month for stash building.
- Did anyone else see that FabricMart now has modal knit? This is hands-down my favorite fabric for loungewear. Here's how herroom.com defines it in their very handy fabric glossary:
Modal is made with cellulose from beech trees and is essentially a variety of rayon. It is about 50% more water-absorbent than cotton. Modal fabric has softness, good drape and is said to breath even better than cotton. Garments made in modal have anti-crease properties and are relatively easy care.
|My favorite DKNY modal pj's|
- Before now, I've never actually seen modal sold in anything other than RTW. Trust me, I've looked for it. I've never seen it in the Garment District or online. So, naturally, I had to snatch up 5 yards for my stash.
- Have you ever worked with modal? Or have you worn it? I have no immediate plans for this fabric, but I think it will become a variety of comfy lounge pants, pj's and some tee shirts over time. The kinds of patterns that come to mind are Simplicity 2603:
- And BurdaStyle (then BWOF) 7-2009-127:
- I also grabbed 2 yards of this very cool double knit. I have no immediate plans for it, but I think it would make a great dress or skirt.
- And I've been stocking up on all kinds of basic supplies: bemberg lining, tracing paper, interfacings, etc. I guess it just feels like it is the right time of year to get myself set for all my sewing projects.
- Speaking of which, the diaper bag is nearly done. I hope to finish it tonight. I'm eager to start work on my color block dress and a bit tired of making so many pockets on this bag. That said, it's been a nice break from fitting.