Friday, October 14, 2011

Knit One, Purl What?

After years of protesting that, although some people manage to make sweaters, the only thing I could ever make from yarn is a knot, I've broken down and started a knitting class. (Hi, my name is Clio, and I'm addicted to Groupons...) And let me tell you, I really feel like it's more boot camp than class, which is exactly what I need.



My instructor is Berta, and she wrote this book. She's rather fierce (I mean that as a compliment) and says she can teach anyone to knit. And by the end of the first class, all 10 of us students were, in fact, knitting!

In three classes - once a week at School Product Yarns right near the Garment District - I will knit two scarves and a hat. It's a very pragmatic class. And I'm laughing while I write this post because it's like being taught by your grandma or favorite Aunt. So far Berta is teaching us how to knit as opposed to spending any teaching time on terminology, how to read patterns, talking about tools or supplies (needles, yarn, etc). I have no idea if we will cover these things in future classes or not. There was no hand out or curriculum. It's instant gratification knitting for now. On Monday morning I couldn't knit a single stitch, but now here is almost 2/3 of a scarf.


It's done with puffy wool and enormous needles, which hides a multitude of glitches and gaffes. It's a fast and easy project to get me going. And on that note, I feel I should share my ulterior motives; what really drove me to knit. I've never really wanted to knit before because, well, I'm not really much of a sweater person. And how many scarves and hats does one person need? Not too many. But what I do love is socks: socks of every size and shape and color and texture!


A few months ago, I picked up these books on Half.com on a whim. And now I'm determined to knit, just so I can knit socks. Ridiculous? Absolutely! But my feet will love me for it.

Somehow, this approach to knitting oddly suits me. I don't know a thing yet, but, dang, I'm knitting and socks are in my future. I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort of reckoning or comeuppance for this wild approach. So stay tuned. It could get interesting.

12 comments:

Peter Lappin said...

A blog reader made me and Michael knit socks, believe it or not, and I love them -- and wear them all the time (mainly as slippers). Keep it up!

Reethi said...

You are brave! I'm really, really afraid of knitting - partly because I think that I'd start yarn stashing as well! And so, no knitting for me.

Clio said...

Oh no! Do knitters have stashes??? I had never even contemplated that possibility! Yikes! LOL. It really was reckless of me start this hobby.

Karin said...

Yea! I've just started trying to knit too. It's fun, and you can take it anywhere. I'm not sure how proficient I'll ever become though; I don't find it easy to do well.

Clio said...

Karin - agreed! Not sure I'll ever make a wearable sweater. My thinking is that socks will be worn under shoes or in the privacy of my own living room....

2BSewing: said...

Yes! Knitters do have a yarn stash. They also belong to Ravelry...a knitting & crochet community. Congrats on taking a class and getting into a new adventure...Susan

MySummerTouch said...

I moved from knitting and crocheting to sewing and I'm more happy now. Beware, because it is addictive and not as productive as sewing. Because you will NEVER know if it would fit at all and if you'll like the result. And 99% of those patterns have mistakes and it is VERY dissapointing to be knitting for 10 hours to find out that you have to rip it all! And did I mentioned the stash? Before you know it, you'll have to rent another apartment just for yarn!
I feel like I had a drug-addiction and I'm cured. I'm so happy!

Jodie said...

I love knitting socks (and am learning mitts right now). I'm a slow knitter, so I only knit for myself (seems only fair 8 )). Keep it up and good luck!

Mar-Mar said...

I started knitting in college - some lecturers were unfazed by the sight of students knitting and purling. I put down my needles about a decade ago mid project and haven't returned to it yet. Socks sound like something I could handle...I am intreged by your class. I learned how to knit in the back seat of my parents' 1976 Chevy Caprice (wow, not sure how bad that sounds) while my dad drove me to college. Mom turned around and showed me how to knit. Several scarves emerged from Women's studies class. At work, we had a knitting group. That was awesome!
xoxo
Mar-Mar

Clio said...

LOL - Mar, that's awesome! All of it.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on your knitting venture, it's fun and a great way to wind down at the end of the day. Honestly, I am a lover of crochet and started knitting only 4 years ago. Like others, its addictive and can see a yarn stash is in your future.

puu said...

great review! i look forward to checking this place out one of these days!