Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Happy Hump Day! Midweek Musings and Sneak Peaks!

Peeps, do you ever have one of those weeks where you're incredibly productive in the Craft Lounge, you get to hang out with awesome people who share your passion and you even learn a thing or two about what goes into making a pattern? That's the week I'm having, and it's only Hump Day!

My Future Dress is hanging in preparation for hemming, changes are made to the Bombshell Swimsuit pattern to make it into a bikini version and fabric is cut, I hemmed shorts for Phin, and I may even have saved my thighs of doom skirt (#Spanx).  Yet there are no finished pictures of anything. Oy!

So here is a sneak peek of a dress-length version of Vogue 8977, a Very Easy Vogue pattern that just needs to be hemmed and the neckline facing tacked down.


Oonapalooza dress

The color is very me, but I've been wanting to experiment with prints (which normally scare me) and patterns with more volume, so when Carolyn sent me home with this drapey, lovely fabric from her sewing cave along with the challenge that I should step outside my comfort zone (ie: solid color, fitted), I thought that an Oonapallooza dress might be the way to go.  

Speaking of Carolyn and Oona, if you haven't checked Instagram in the last day, you probably missed that the awesome folks at McCalls hosted an Open House and Trunk Show for a rabid hoard of fabric obsessed some NY area bloggers and sewists. And they didn't even look all that scared.

We got to see where the pattern drafting and testing magic really happens and hear about how a pattern goes from an idea to a finished product.



We were treated to a trunk show where we got to see and then paw at carefully examine the construction of some of the newly released pattern garments (like this one!!!!!) and even a few sneak peaks at upcoming offerings. But that's all hush hush for now!

Some of us even tried on a few accessories...

Oona and Peter the Bold model V9045 with chartreuse Ralph Rucci dress as backdrop

Anyway, a fun time was had by all, and I think this was terrific outreach to the sewing blogger community (and I'm not just saying that because the swag bags were pretty awesome!)  I met some of the McCalls team at PatternReview's LBD party last November, and so was aware that they read our blogs and are interested in our feedback. So, I feel like this was a wonderful way to open a dialogue and am eager to see what McCalls has planned.

I hope you are having a great week as we start to head to the weekend! 

6 comments:

Clio said...

Yes, I'm loving how much more accessible they are and hopefully they can reduce the ease.

Clio said...

Yeah, I'm not sure that there are any plans in the works to change the fit of the patterns. But accessible is a big step. I think they were talking about taking the trunk show on the road, so I hope you'll get an opportunity to participate, too.

Clio said...

Oh I'm loving the new dress! Can't wait to see it modeled. So glad I was able to catch up with you at the McCalls Affair! It was awesome!!!

Clio said...

yes! cave fabric!


i was honestly shocked more peeps didn't try things on. multi thousand dollar ralph rucci coat? yes, i'll stick my arms in that.

Clio said...

If I could have fit more than one of my arms in that seriously teeny tiny coat without the seams exploding, I would have been all over that!

Clio said...

Oooh, hooray!! Yeah, I had one of those moments of inspiration and was cutting into fabric 30 minutes later. So, I'm kind of excited about it.


Yes! Awesome to see you!