Monday, January 13, 2014

Welt Pockets - Like a Boss, Peeps!


Sorry the color is so off. It's really cobalt.

I'm trying to be all smug and cool about my awesome welt pocket. But, really, I'm all happy dance, happy dance, happy dance!!  (Note to self: Add "get's giddy over a perfect welt pocket" to the you-might-be-a-sewing-geek-if list.)

If you're thinking that one welt pocket is a small accomplishment and could have come out nicely just by fluke chance, just check out my other two, which are vertical.


These need a little pressing.


Three nearly perfect welt pockets!

Understand that sewing a double welt pocket is, to date, the only sewing task or technique that I've found to be exactly as scary and challenging as I thought it would be. More, actually. So how'd I do it without having either magic or the force at my disposal?  My secret weapon: Kenneth King and his Designing Details: Pockets Craftsy class.


Designing Details: Pockets


I know I sounds like a broken record, but I can really wrap my brain around the way he teaches and his techniques. I find his methods to be precise, clear and understandable. What's more is that it actually is a bit different from any other method I've seen or tried, and I've tried several. The class goes through drafting and installing patch pockets, single welts, shaped single welts, double welts and double welts with a zipper inside. I'm tempted to find a jacket pattern with welt pockets just so I can do a zippered welt.

Again, this pocked did not come together by magic. I actually spent two afternoons watching and rewatching and sewing muslin pockets. Not all were successful. Here's a smattering of the fails for your amusement:


The one where the welts overlapped


The one where the welts didn't meet and all the corners puckered


The one where my tiny stitches perforated the muslin and it ripped. And the welts overlapped.

 And my personal favorite fail:


The one where I sewed the pocket bag in upside down so my pocket defied gravity
 But then...

Almost there!

...things started getting better. And after several good pockets in a row, each better than the last and some sewn vertically, I was ready to go.


Like a boss
 
Of course, the lesson is that practicing technique is important.  I made pockets until I could do it without fuss and without having to go thru the instructions step-by-step. So, expect my trousers and a full viewing of the top in the near future.

22 comments:

Clio said...

LOVE this color! I had a pair of colbalt pants that I wore to death last winter and they got all fuzzy and I had to get rid of them :( I can't wait to see yours!

Clio said...

gah clio, those are delicious!!!

Clio said...

Whoa dude! These look fantastiche!

Clio said...

Congratulations! I've yet to master them, they're so tricksy!

Clio said...

You be smug. Those are beautiful. These things scare the crap out of me and I cannot see any circumstance in which I will attempt them. So you be smug and brag and act superior, you deserve it. ♥

Clio said...

The pockets look fantastic Clio! Great work!!!

Clio said...

Gorgeous pockets ( add swoons over someones else's wonderful sewing execution to your list).

Clio said...

woohoo!

Clio said...

Consider it on the list!! ;-)

Clio said...

heehee Aren't they scary? Once you cut, that's it! But, if I can do it, really it's within anyone's reach.

Clio said...

Well done! Such a fiddly technique to master.

Clio said...

I hereby dub thee "Weltina," for thy excellent skills in constructing welts. Well done ... or should that be "welt done"?

Clio said...

Practice makes perfect, but so many of us are unwilling to practice, so we whine. That describes me when regarding welt pockets. These are gorgeous, but you worked for them, so congratulations! You will have to keep making them occasionally so you don't forget how and so you can continue to brag!

Clio said...

Great welts and a wonderful lesson on the persistence required to learn a new technique and execute it well.

Clio said...

Wocka, wocka, wocka... LOL I happily accept this honor.

Clio said...

It's kind of the same lesson as why you should sew a muslin, right? With limited sewing time, it's always so tempting to skip right to the making/finishing the actual garment without doing the skill building. Seriously, I'm on such a high that I plan to put welts in everything from now on!

Clio said...

Thanks, Bunny! I feel like this compliment comes from one who knows!

Clio said...

Thanks everyone! They really are tricksy/fiddly!

Clio said...

Wow! Great work!!!

Clio said...

Your pockets look amazing! I'm in awe!

Clio said...

Nice!

Clio said...

Your pockets rock, girl! Just goes to show that patience, good teaching and lots of practice runs produce results we like! woot woot!