Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cross This One Off the List!

Thanks to everyone who replied about juggling multiple hobbies and multiple knitting projects last week.

On Christmas, as I sat chit chatting with family, I actually managed to finish my cowl scarf. So cross one off the list of potential knitting UFO's.

Double looped with my Lady Grey Coat!

The pattern I used was a free pattern on Ravelry called the "GAP-tastic Cowl". I guess it's a knock off of a GAP scarf. My knitting teacher, Berta, helped me convert the pattern to a smaller needle and less bulky yarn and still get the length and width I wanted. The original scarf was knit flat and then sew together, so there was a seam. The knock off is done in the round. I did mine with a twist on the first round so the whole thing made a mobius. I made it from a nice soft merino yarn. More deets on Ravelry

Single loop up

I also made a decision after last week's lace basics class, which I'm feeling good about. We began a rather complicated lace pattern that consisted of 19 rows, each one different and basically unmemorizable. I learned several new stitches during the class, which was fantastic, but failed to get to the end of the pattern even once. In the class setting, it simply was not quiet enough for me to keep track of where I was in the pattern. I think I sprained my brain trying. So, I decided not to go forward with the lace shawl that we started in the class. It's not really my style and would be a huge amount of work that I would have to do in a quiet room. I like knitting for it's portability and my ability to do it in front of the tv and while commuting. So it doesn't really fit in with my plans right now. All that said, I feel like I now have the know-how to tackle basic lace patterns - I know the stitches and how to read the pattern.

So, one down, two to go as far as potential UFO's go. Next, we'll discuss the alarming list of sewing projects I've got in queue! LOL.

11 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Love your scarf and want one for myself. I've been contemplating learning to knit lately.

Candice said...

Love, love your scarf! Now only if I knew how to knit :(

Karin said...

It turned out great! And I am sure far nicer than the Gap's version. I am guessing yours is all natural fibres and theirs has a large does of acrylic.
BTW, great to see the Lady Grey Coat, it really does suit you.

Sheila said...

Pretty cowl and looks great with your coat. Lace takes a bit more concentration than I can give and just rather admire others lace projects.

Faye Lewis said...

P.S. For got to say, your lady grey was the prettiest one of all.

puu said...

scarf + lady grey = fabulous

sewistafashionista said...

A twist on the first round makes a mobius - terrific technique to tuck away when I want to use up some extra yarn. Thank you for posting. Lovely scarf.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You did a great job on the scarf and it does look AMAZING with your Lady Gray jacket!

Sara said...

I just made a list this morning of my sewing and knitting UFO's. This includes projects where I have bought material but not cut out or cast on yet. A total of 12. I'm not saying that I won't start any more projects until they're all done, but I am saying that all 12 will be finished by the end of this year. That's my NY resolution.

Clio said...

Thanks everyone! I do get so much out of my Lady Grey!

@ Sara - One UFO a month seems entirely reasonable!

K.Line said...

Clio: What a great combo - they look great on you! I've made both of these garments too but I've never thought to pair them :-)