Thursday, August 2, 2012

Could I be a Jean-ius?

So, for my other sewing project - one where it doesn't really matter if I screw up or not - I decided that I basically need someone bossing me around. And who better to boss me than Kenneth King?



So, I signed up for Jean-ius! Reverse Engineer Your Favorite Fit on Craftsy. My goal is not to knock off jeans, but my favorite trousers, seen here:


Phin is a big fan of these trousers on me. And the fit is pretty spot on. I'd love a pair in white.

Now, drafting pants might not seem like a less complicated or easier project, but it certainly is less stressful. Since I won't be working on leather, there is a lot of margin for error. And there are very clear step-by-step instructions. I've watched the first several lessons and I am very impressed with how detailed and organized the class is. It's thorough without being overwhelming and Kenneth King is a wonderful speaker and teacher.

Anyway, step one is to baste along all the seam lines, grainlines and details (pockets, fly, etc).

Pants with basted guide lines

I still have to baste in the crosswise grain lines at knee and crotch level.

Up close

The only part that I have to figure out is how to account for the two darts on the back, since the jeans KK is using for the demonstration have no darts. I'll probably refer to the article on knocking off your favorite pants that was in Threads a few years ago. 

Back
Honestly, I'm relieved to have a project that has incredibly detailed instructions (thank you, Kenneth) as compared to my Burda leather jacket. Sometimes, it's nice not to have to figure out every step as I go.

15 comments:

Karin said...

Wow, you are tackling lots of tricky sewing projects right now! First the leather jacket and now trousers! I am looking forward to seeing your cloned pants. I hope they are spot on too!

Annie said...

Now, I'm no expert. Just using a little logic. How about measuring the dart, depth x 2 and length. Cut a slit i the pattern and insert a wedge of pattern paper the same size plus a little extra to accomodate the scotch tape. Works for me. BTW, that looks like a great class.

Clio said...

LOL - Compared to the leather jacket, the pants seem like a cinch. But maybe I'm jinxing myself by saying it!

Clio said...

I think I'm going to do something along those lines. There was an article in Threads about cloning pants back in 2008 that had a method for doing the darts.

oonaballoona said...

your first sentence killed me.


i've got this course laying in wait... somehow i feel new york's fall will tip me over the edge...

Clio said...

LOL - it was written in all sincerity. I can't think for myself at the moment.

It's really good if you have RTW pants or jeans you like.

Clio said...

Sheila! You could make a billion pairs of your LOFT trousers with this method!

Faye Lewis said...

They look marvelous!

poppykettle said...

Oh yes! I've got this course too, and I've watching it but haven't yet had the time to actually DO it. I blame that on me not yet having found the right fabric for the pants I have in mind. How fabulous is Kenneth though? I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the course when you're finished!

Phyllis Craine said...

I have that class - KK is awesome!

Tanit-Isis Sews said...

Oooh, nifty! I've been thinking about that class a lot. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to clone my fave pair of RTW jeans before the last set totally bites the dust....

Clio said...

You are the queen of jeans!

Clio said...

Yeah, KK really is aptly named. He's fantastic and a really good teacher. There are lots of little nuggets of good info throughout.

Nancy Karpen said...

He's an amazing teacher and so entertaining. I've taken his moulage class and two fit clinics. He's always got wonderful little nuggets of information among the bigger moments.

puu said...

love kenneth, and i also bought this class, but haven't checked it out yet. i will look forward to your progress, and to your review of the course. good luck!!